Search This Blog

Monday 28 June 2010

Love poems

Dear friends and readers,

I have this passion for beautiful poems and thus, I have managed to compiled several poems for you guys to read and enjoy... happy reading!

To My Dear and Loving Husband

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were loved by wife, then thee;
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that rivers connot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee, give recompense.
Thy love is such I can no way repay,
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let's so persevere
That when we live no more, we may live ever.
Anne Bradstreet (1612?-1672)
Dedicated to her husband, Simon Bradstreet

Bright Star
Bright star, would I were steadfast as thou art-
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains, and the moors-
No-yet still steadfast, still unchangeable,
Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To fed for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
An so live ever-or else swoon to death.
John Keats (1795-1821)

She Walks In Beauty
She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellowed to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face:
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling place.
And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!
George Gordon, Lord Byron (1788-1824)

Beloved, My Beloved
Beloved, My Beloved Beloved,when I think
That thou wast in the world a year ago,
What time I sat alone here in the snow
And saw no footprint, heard the silence sink
No momentat thy voice, but, link by link,
Went counting all my chains as if that so
They never could fall off at any blow
Struck by thy possible hand,-why, thus I drink
Of life's great cup of wonder! Wonderful,
Never to feel thee thrill the day or night
With personal act or speech,-nor ever cull
Some prescience of thee with the blossoms white
Thou sawest growing! Atheists are as dull,
Who cannot guess God's presence out of sight.
Elizabeth Barrett (1806-1861)

When You Are Old
When you are old and gray and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;
How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true;
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face.
And bending down beside the glowing bars
Murmur, a little sadly, how love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.
William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)

Love's Philosophy
The fountains mingle with the river,
And the rivers with the ocean;
The winds of heaven mix forever,
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In one another's being mingle: -
Why not I with thine?
See! the montains kiss high heaven,
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother;
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea: -
What are all these kissings worth,
If thou kiss not me?
Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)

How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count The Ways
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right:
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,--I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --and if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)

Fulfillment
There is no happier life
But in a wife;
The comforts are so sweet
Whe two do meet.
'Tis plenty, peace, a calm
Like dropping balm;
Love's weather is so fair,
Like perfumed air.
Each word such pleasure brings
Like soft-touched stirrings;
Love's passion moves the heart
On either part;
Such harmony together,
So pleased in either.
No discords; concords still;
Sealed with one will.
By love, God made man one,
Yet not alone.
Like stamps of king and queen
It may be seen:
Two figures on one coin,
So do they join,
Only they not embrace.
We, face to face.
William Cavendish (1520-1676)

How Wonderful To Have You In My Life!
How wonderful to have you in my life!
All my feelings whirl about my heart!
Perhaps I can't contain that I'm your wife;
Perhaps I don't know how or where to start.
You have me always, no matter what you do:
A gift I give my gift, joyously.
Nothing means as much to me as you;
Nothing else so fully makes me, me.
If I had everything that God could grant,
Very little there would bring me peace.
Enwrapped in you is everything I want:
Rapture, warmth, affection, sweet release.
So strong my love! So happy, sure, and strong!
A thousand thousand years would not seem long!
Reason tells me everything must end,
Yet you will always be my lover-friend.

I Miss You On Our Anniversary!
I miss you on our anniversary.
It's lonelier than most days I'm alone,
Even though we manage on the phone
To touch with words the face we cannot see.
You away are far more dear to me
Than anyone who might remain at home.
My love is in the places that you roam,
Being with you where I cannot be.
We do not choose the objects of our passion,
But passively await the holy fire
That immolates our past and lights our fate,
Twisting through the alleys of desire.
So I am yours, and will contented wait,
Allowing love my life and will to fashion.

There Is A Mountain Somewhere Near
There is a mountain somewhere near
The harbor of our love
Where I can go sometimes to view
Our marriage from above.

I see the vastness of the sea
Outside our sheltered bay,
With boats like toys upon the flat
Bare corrugated gray.

I see the shadows of the clouds,
An archipelago
That neither wind nor current breaks,
Nor charts of sea depths show.

I see the green of nearby hills,
The gardens on our land,
The cultivated wildness
Of nature shaped by hand.

I see the waves sweep up against
The rocks upon our shore,
The white spume leaping, oh, so slow;
The heart awaiting more.

And all the peace of happiness
And passion sharp for life
Come slanting bright across the sky
Because you are my wife.

Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!
After many years
Pleasure is a golden hillside,
Passionate and still.
Your bedrooms and your hands are free,
After unshed tears;
Now much of life is tucked away,
No longer touched by will.
In your hearts a wilderness,
Vast and undisturbed,
Empty of all sentiments
Renews the moment's glory.
So may years of tenderness,
Also sung unheard,
Radiant beyond all sense
Yet tell love's ancient story.

Happy Anniversary, My Love!
Happy anniversary, my love:
After all these years, my lover still!
Perhaps we've come this far by force of will;
Perhaps by what sweet winds within us move.
Years alone do not decisive prove,
As time's a box that holds both good and ill;
Nor can one long be loving without skill;
Nor long be cool below and warm above.
In you I've found a shoreline for my sea
Vast enough to hold me in its arms,
Embracing both the turbulence and deep,
Reconciling me to limitation.
So may you find a wilderness in me,
A place of windswept waves and rippled calms,
Restoring you to realms you cannot reap,
Yielding neither home nor destination.

Fifty Years Is Really Not Enough
Fifty years is really not enough
In which to plumb the depths of someone's soul.
Fifty more years, then, should be the goal:
To know the beauty of another's love,
Yearnings shape, and life-long shadows buff.
Yet life was never easy in those years.
Everest is sometimes hard to climb.
A will to love has brought you to this time,
Rich in joys that time cannot remove.
So may this day be filled with happy tears!

The Day I Met You
When I met you I found out what true love was,
Still today it amazes me what it reaaly does,
I've always been in love with you even when we were apart,
From the moment I saw you I knew you'd always have my heart,
I knew with all that I am one day I'd be your wife,
And when that day came I had a meaning to my life,
Weve been through so much and it hasn't even been a year,
Our love keeps growing stronger and stronger I think that's pretty clear,
Thank you my husband for loving me and sticking by my side,
When I think of you, my husband, I am filled with so much pride.
Kara Colaiuta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...